ubbed as the "Seafood Capital of the Philippines", Capiz boasts of its 80-kilometer coastline and wide expanse of swampy lands easily converted into fishponds. It holds one of the richest fishing grounds and a major contributor in the aquamarine industry of the Philippines.
Its capital is Roxas City and is located at the northeastern portion of Panay Island, bordering Aklan and Antique to the west, and Iloilo to the south. Capiz faces the Sibuyan Sea to the north. Capiz is known for its mother-of-pearl shells that have the same name and are used for decoration, making lampshades, trays, window doors, etc.
Farming and fishing are the primary sources of income of the people. The combined natural bounty of land and sea are enough to sustain a vibrant food industry. Its primary agricultural raw products are rice, corn, coconut, sugarcane, banana and cut flower. Apart from a surplus of agricultural products it generates every year, Capiz is also one of the country’s major suppliers of prawn and milk fish. Other agro-industrial harvests include blue marlin, squid, oysters, shrimp, seaweed, squid and angel wings. The rich fishing grounds attract investors to venture into prawn culture, prawn feed manufacture, seaweed farming and the distribution and processing of other marine products.
Its relatively unexplored caves are said to have high deposits of mineral resources such as limestone, gold and metal.
Historians and ethnologists narrowed down to three, the types of people known to have inhabited Capiz. Negritos popularly known as Ati; Indonesians descendants of the Mundo tribe in central Panay; and the Malays.
How "Capiz" Got Its Name
There are main version on how Capiz got its name:1) 'Akean' and 'Kapid'(meaning) which Balingangan, Datu Bangkaya's eldest son, names his territories in honor of his twin daughters.(2) When the Spaniards established a settlement, they found an abundance of a mollusk called 'pios' or 'kapid', the old native name which has also come to known as Capiz.
Capiz became the second Spanish settlement after Cebu when Captain Diego de Artienda, sent by Legaspi landed in the town of Pan-ay and proclaimed it the capital of the province. The capital was then moved to the present location of Roxas City.
Folk history recorded in the Maragtas by Pedro Monteclaro says ten Bornean datus landed at a site now known as San Joaquin town in Iloilo province. They purchased Panay Island from the Aeta, cultivated the land, and renamed the island Madya-as. They divided it into three communities: Irong-irong, Akean (which includes the Capiz area), and Hamtik.
It is said that in Capiz in 1570, the Datu Bankaya’s wife of the Aklan district gave birth to twin daughters. Twin is "Kapid" in the local dialect, so the Spaniards adopted the name Capiz (Kapid) as inadvertently miscommunicated to them by the natives.
Capiz, which was part of Aklan in pre-Spanish times, was one of the early settlements of the Malays, centuries before the coming of the Spaniards to the Philippines. It was part of the Confederation of Madjaas, formed after the purchase of Panay by the Bornean datus from the Negrito king named Marikudo.
When the Spaniards led by Miguel López de Legazpi came to Panay from Cebu in 1569, they found people with tattoos, and so they called it Isla de los Pintados. How the island itself came to be called Panay is uncertain. The Aeta called it Aninipay, after a plant that abounded in the island. Legend has it that López de Legazpi and his men, in search of food, exclaimed upon the island, pan hay en esta isla!. So they established their first settlement in the island at the mouth of the Banica River in Capiz and called it Pan-ay. This was the second Spanish settlement in the Philippines, the first being San Miguel, Cebu.
In the same year of 1569 Captain ('Capitan') Diego de Artieda who was sent by Legaspi landed in the Town of Panay and proclaimed it as the capital of the province. Later, they moved the Capital to its present site upon discovering the town of Capiz (not the province, and now Roxas City) which was near the sea and provided docking facilities.
In 1942, the region was occupied by the Japanese troops. In 1945, the region was liberated by the joint Filipino and American troops with Filipino guerrillas from the defeated Japanese Imperial forces during Second World War.
Capiz and Aklan were united under one province until April 25, 1956, when President Ramon Magsaysay signed into law Republic Act 1414 separating the two entities.
Capiz is subdivided into 16 municipalities and 1 city.
- Fireworks contest to end #CAPIZtahan2017
- #CAPIZtahan: Sadsad Capiz a must-see
- Most promising CAPIZtahan festival 2017
- Remembering Manuel A. "Manoling" Roxas of Capiz
- LOOK: Pres. Roxas state car now in local museum
- Capiz set for TRIAKSYON kick-off
- Bonuses for 599 Capiz day care workers
- Tripartite project aims better Capiz hospitals
- Capiz to host 1st Int'l Triathlon
- Panay River occupants told to relocate to safety
- Capiz stadium rehab mulled
- Guv OK with Nacion as top cop
- Del Rosario seeks drug test for execs
Budget & Finances
- Capiz Annual Budget 2017
- Capiz Annual Budget 2016
- Manpower Comp. - Q4 2016
- Manpower Comp. - Q3 2016
- Manpower Comp. - Q2 2016
- Manpower Comp. - Q1 2016
- Unliquidated C.A. (Q4 2016)
- Unliquidated C.A. (Q3 2016)
- Unliquidated C.A. (Q2 2016)
- Unliquidated C.A. (Q1 2016)
- Debt Service (2017)
- Debt Service (2016)
- Cash Flow - Q4 2016
- Cash Flow - Q3 2016
- Cash Flow - Q2 2016
- Cash Flow - Q1 2016
- Receipts & Exp. - 2016
- Trust Fund Util. - Q4 2016
- Trust Fund Util. - Q3 2016
- Trust Fund Util. - Q2 2016
- Trust Fund Util. - Q1 2016
- 20% IRA Util. - Q4 2016
- 20% IRA Util. - Q3 2016
- 20% IRA Util. - Q2 2016
- 20% IRA Util. - Q1 2016
- SEF Estimates - 2017
- SEF Utilization - Q4 2016
- SEF Utilization - Q3 2016
- SEF Utilization - Q2 2016
- SEF Utilization - Q1 2016
- LDRRMF Util. - Q4 2016
- LDRRMF Util. - Q3 2016
- LDRRMF Util. - Q2 2016
- LDRRMF Util. - Q1 2016